Invite                   Ignite                   Grow                   GO

operation arctic desktop animal palCLICK ON PICTURE

 

Christmas Eve services will be held at Klinsegrove UMC at 7 pm and 11 pm.
 
A combined service will be held at Mt. Pleasant UMC on Sunday, December 25th at 10:30 am.
 
 7PM Service11PM Service
The membership secretary has the privilege of recording very valuable information. Recorded are names and addresses of church members, and those who attend often even if not a member, baptisms, deaths, and marriages. Please contact Lois Kovaschetz at 286-8042 to notify her of changes in your family (including addresses) so she may serve the church better.

MPUMC Vision

The earliest known congregation of the Mt. Pleasant Methodist Episcopal Church was formed in the year 1852 by a membership of twenty nine persons. With Rev. Joseph F. Ross as pastor, the small gathering worshipped in an old log schoolhouse located on the George Weaver farm (now the property of Ashley Lawrence).
Then in 1860, Joseph Campbell, member, donated land for a church and burial grounds. Through the efforts of Herman G. Kline and a cousin, Robert Campbell, a one story, frame church edifice, thirty six by forty feet, was erected at a cost of $800. Formally dedicated the following year, the church continued to hold services and Sunday School until 1928, when it was closed,
By means of a bi-weekly service, supported through offerings, Rev. Charles Metzger reactivated the church in 1936 through 1939. Sometime during 1940 - 1943 under the pastorate of Rev. Martin Hopkins, the church was returned to the Snydertown Charge.
The little white frame church continued to serve the community for a period of nearly one hundred years, until a severe hurricane (Hazel) caused considerable damage to the building. A concerned congregation met with the intention of repairing and expanding the standing building on June 30, 1957 only to be inspired and challenged by the youth who proposed the building be dismantled and a new one erected on the same site.
On Easter Sunday, April 6, 1958, a final worship service was conducted and on the following Monday morning an excited, ambitious congregation returned with crow bars and hammers to dismantle the “little white church" with anticipation of a more beautiful and serviceable "temple". Meanwhile services were to be conducted temporarily in our Community Center.
Formal groundbreaking ceremonies were held July 19, 1958 under the enthusiastic guidance of Rev. Amandus Hunsinger. It was due largely to his and Mrs. Hunsinger's encouraging and untiring efforts that spurred us on to make our dream a reality. Prayerfully we watched each step of progress --- mortar and brick, laminated beams, rafters, and shingles --- take place, only to go away girded with projects to realize the needed cost.
On April 21, 1959 the cornerstone was laid. This stone of white marble has a history of its own prior to its location at the former Snydertown parsonage and finally at the Mt. Pleasant Church. It had been the cornerstone of the Augusta Church of the Snydertown Methodist along Shamokin Creek. Due to construction of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company tracks, the church was moved its Arter Station location in 1884. Since it was near the I.0.0.F. Home, the church was destroyed by a fire that spread from one of the buildings at the Home that burned in the year 1913.
After two years of untireless efforts, hard work, and whole hearted cooperation the first service was conducted in the basement of the new church. On June 18, 1960 our faithful friends, the Hunsinger's, bade us farewell and Rev. William Turner and family arrived to continue their work.
During Rev. Turner's years here, the main sanctuary was completed for worship. The formal consecration service was held July 30, 1961. Gifts of interior furnishings were received, admired, and loved by all who attended this service.
A part of our "little white church" remained as the stained g1ass windows were rebuilt and restored to adorn the new sanctuary.
This , however, was not the end of our happy moments for March 24, 1963 brought a service of dedication for the beautiful new organ which was unexpectedly given us. What a glorious inspiration it has been in our hours of worship and prayer.
Still the endeavors of the congregation were not at an end. The pews, donated by members and friends, in honor and memory of their loved ones were dedicated in 0ctober 6, 1963.
With the help, cooperation, and inspiration of our present pastor, Rev. John B. Greenland, we have come to perhaps our greatest t milestone. For today, April 11, 1966, we formally dedicate our building r to Almighty God.


*Taken from the Dedication Pamphlet of Monday, April 11, 1966.*

Subcategories

We have 7 guests and no members online